Spring is the perfect time to clean all all the expired products from your bathroom shelves and makeup bag. I knew I had tons of old “stuff” in my bathroom drawers, but when I dove in, I was really surprised at how much I had! Yikes! Check out my “before”, “after” and “trash”. Easter has always been a time of renewal – spiritual and physical! We had a house guest for the week and combined with spring temperatures, I finally got the motivation to clean, clean, clean.
I keep things I use every day in the top drawer of my bathroom vanity. Makeup in the second drawer and things I only use occasionally in the bottom drawer. For safety, we keep all our medicine in a locked travel bag. Here are my before pictures:
Here are my “during” pictures! Yikes, I had a ton of expired and just plain gross products….
I put medicines in a separate trash bag. Our town has a special disposal for prescription and over-the-counter medicines.
Time to go shopping!
DRUMROLL PLEASE!!!! AND NOW… THE AFTER!!
How did I get to the “After” and how much did it cost? Ready to start on your own drawers? Here’s a few tips:
- Be Bold- If it’s past the expiration date, don’t even start thinking, “But, maybe…” No but-maybes!! Toss it!
- Be Brave – Not expired but you haven’t touched it in three months? Toss it! No but-maybes!
- Don’t Overthink – Keep? Toss? If you’re not sure, it means it’s old and you don’t use it – toss it!
- Delayed Trash Anxiety – Put all the items you’re getting rid of into a clean trash bag. Set aside for a week or two. If you need anything you planned to throw away you can still pull it out. Most likely, you won’t touch it and be able to remember what was even in there!
- Involve Your Children in the process – I’m going to be honest, Rosie’s interest gave out about half way into the project, but I feel like she got the idea of how important it was to spring clean. She’s just learning dates and got lots of practice reading them!
- Mascara – 3 months
- Foundation – 3 to 6 months
- Powders – 1 year
- Lipstick – 1 year
- Pencils – 1 year
For more about my shopping trip, check out my Google + Photo Album (including an Easter basket avalanche). For more information about Colgate, go to the Colgate Palmolive Website. Connect with Colgate on Twitter and Colgate on Facebook.
Disclosure of Material Connection: All opinions are my own unless otherwise stated. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #CBias #EasterSmiles